On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Torsten Bergmann <asta...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Mariano wrote:
> >So...if you take a Core 11367 and load the metacellol version, it will
> >work perfect.
>
> But wouldn't that mean we should have a "1.1-beta1.11367" in the config?

Yes, sorry about that, I have just noticed the confusion: I put the correct
name to the method version, but wrong pragma (because of copy paste).

That  pragma should have been 1.1-beta1.11367 instead of 1.1-beta1.10517

> >That's not broken.
>
> Yes, the '1.1-beta1.10517' still works with the core 11367 image.

Ok, this what is important, and what I want to achieve.

> But if you update it to a Core 11372 first and then use
> the ConfigurationOfPharo (1.1-beta1.10517) it is broken.

Of course it is. How do you pretend that the same version of external
packages work perfectly with changes in the core?

> >How can you assure that for any core version the same metacello version
> can
> >work on it?  That's impossible.
>
> Yes. So the question is which core image is the base for Pharo 1.1.
> (10517, 11367, ...)?

Depending. For Pharo beta 1 it was 11367. For Pharo beta2 we don't know yet,
neither for rc or final.

> I would do:
>  - a feature freeze for the core or pick a stable core
>   so we have a stable 1.1 base to build the dev-image upon
>  - adopt the config and loaded packages until they work on this core
>  - test, test, test
>
> >I can update it, but if noone fixes Nile...
>
> I think the Nile problem is related to the traits problem introduced
> between core 11367 and core 11372. Since Stef already found the
> problem I asked if we get a fix in an upcoming 11373 so
> building the dev-image may work again.

Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn't. Just suppose in that new core version,
some method or class where renamed or removed. What happen with external
packages?

> So currently we dont have a broken configuration but a broken core.

It is not broken. It is just a bug.