On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@beta9.be>wrote:

> On 09 Dec 2010, at 20:39, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM, stephane ducasse <
> stephane.duca...@free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > When I see that. I would really like to see how we can create something
> around the cloud. We have a lot of assets.
> > Does anybody have some interest bootstrapping a business around that?
> >
> > _very_  I'd love to do high-quality VM work funded in this kind of
> context.
>
> Isn't / shouldn't Cog already (be) a high quality VM then ?

Its code generator is naive, the object representation is over-complex, the
GC is poor (no incremental mark-sweep), the FFI is weak (no threading),
there is no multi-core solution available as yet, there is no 64-bit
solution, there is no adaptive optimizer.  While I'm making progress on some
of these I certainly don't have enough time to focus on them and would love
the chance to do just that, working with people like Igor and Marcus.

> I don't think (I am actually pretty sure) that Ruby has a good VM,
> Smalltalk's is way better (many more decades of experience, from the times
> when hardware mattered). Up until very recently (and even after the RoR hype
> started) they had no unicode support and no multithreading. Even now, they
> always (have to) deploy clusters of multiple VMs to scale. [On the other
> hand, this makes every deploy better scaleable because they have to do it
> from day one].
>
> Seaside can do all that too (the scaling/clustering), it is sometimes
> little things that cause problems. For example, many people have tried but
> very little have succeeding in building a VM themselves that is as fast as
> the 'official' ones. Headless support is another one. Better sockets and
> streaming would also help.
>
> Cloud support is actually lot's of Unix/Linux level work combined with
> automation. Smalltalk, Ruby, Lisp, Python, Java, .Net or even C, it doesn't
> matter much.

I fear you're right.  But I'm told that being able to scale is key, and that
is in part a VM performance and tuning issue, not just a deployment
configuration issue.

> But don't get me wrong, I do think Smalltalk has an interesting future. It
> is still one of the nicest languages/environments/IDE's/communities to work
> in. And Pharo has been a great step in modernizing Smalltalk. And Cog just
> made everything incredibly much faster.

Somewhat faster :)  There's potentially much more to come.

best
Eliot