From: pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr
[pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr] on behalf of Mariano Martinez
Peck [marianop...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 3:52 PM
To: Pharo-project@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Best way for FFI in Pharo

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<stephane.duca...@inria.fr<mailto:stephane.duca...@inria.fr>> wrote:
can you give an example that I understand
"One thing I strongly recommend is to favor #moduleName over pragmas listing
the library - imagine changing 2000+ GSL calls if the library name changes =:0 "

Bill:  that already exists in FFI.
Stef: what Bill says is that if you bind to a specific library you have to put
its library name in each method that calls a ffi function. Example of DBX:

apiErrorType: handle number: err
    "int odbx_error_type( odbx_t*, int )"
    <cdecl: long 'odbx_error_type' (ulong long) module: 'opendbx'>
    ^ self externalCallFailed

----

apiInitialize: handle backend: backend host: host port: port
    "long odbx_init(odbx_t**, char*, char*, char*)"
    <cdecl: long 'odbx_init' (ulong* char* char* char*) module: 'opendbx'>
    ^self externalCallFailed

---

xxx

---

Notice the "module: 'opendbx"
So...if now the library is renamed or whatever, you have to change all methods.
But I don't think this is a real big deal. There are much worst things.

Finaly, I copy paste an answer from Andreas from a previous thread:

The Right Way to do this is to have a subclass of ExternalLibrary and implement
the class-side method #moduleName along the lines of:

MyLibrary class>>moduleName
 "Answer the module name to use for this library"
 Smalltalk platformName = 'Win32' ifTrue:[^'MyLibrary32.dll'].
 Smalltalk platformName = 'unix' ifTrue:[
    "check various locations and versions"
    #('/usr/lib/libMyLibrary.so'
      '/usr/lib/libMyLibrary.so.1'
      '/usr/lib/libMyLibrary.so.2'
      '/usr/share/libMyLibrary.so.1'
      '/usr/share/libMyLibrary.so.2'
) do:[:location|
         (FileDirectory fileExists: location) ifTrue:[^location].
    ].
    ^self error:'MyLibrary is not installed'
  ].

Tx