On 1 February 2012 14:44, Damien Pollet <damien.pol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 January 2012 15:59, Otto Behrens <o...@finworks.biz> wrote:
>> I was wondering more if it is possible to do without having a file
>> system checkout of the class definition. In other words, if the class
>> definition in the image could serve as the working copy of the object
>> in the git repository. I must read more on what the other guys did
>> with the git interfaces (such as gitfs and gitosis) to understand what
>> it comes down to.
>>
>> If this is possible, it would make merging, loading and committing
>> essentially one step.
>
> Have you seen what Camillo did?
> http://www.squeaksource.com/FSGit
> https://github.com/dh83/fs-git-test
>
> Note the layout with class comment in a README file, etc :)

That is _exactly_ the right thing to do! Bravo, Camillo! Also note how
Nested-Package-Names end up looking like you might expect.

Is there any necessity for storing a chunk? For instance in
https://github.com/dh83/fs-git-test/blob/master/AAA/AAA.class/instance-side/as%20yet%20unclassified/a.st
we have

!AAA methodsFor: 'as yet unclassified' stamp: 'CamilloBruni 1/23/2012 19:15'!
        | a |
        ^ a! !

with the ugly chunk !s. The only thing we can't directly regenerate is
the timestamp: modulo that, we know the class name, the category (the
name of the directory you're in), the author (from the author of the
git commit). You'd have a disconnect between the git commit time and
the time in the chunk which would, IIRC, be the time you hit Alt-S in
your browser? Or would that be file-out time, which would likely then
be the timestamp in the git commit?

> There is a also nearly working implementation of the git network
> protocol (stubbed using the git binaries ATM).
>

>> The disadvantage could be a tight coupling with git.
>
> is that really a disadvantage, compared to a tight coupling with monticello?

With the added advantage of the git ecosystem thrown in for free - git
hosting, rss feeds on git repositories, and a host of other things
that would not need to be reinvented for Smalltalk. Letting us, to get
to the punchline, do _more interesting work_.

frank