I apparently misread some of the papers. I can't find mention of how Morphic was ported, though the ability to use smalltalk inside an LK morph suggests that there is some expectation of reuse of code or perhaps they simply wanted Smalltalk programmers to feel more comfortable with LK morphs from the start.

L.