The error I reported here should not affect your using a breakpoint #snapshot:andQuit in to debug this. Just avoid clicking <restart> in the debugger for #snapshot:andQuit:
For your problem with the debugger, here is how I would go about it.

1. Check if any failures occur with TestRunner on ToolsTest-Debugger? If any of them do fail (for example #testBasic), then use that as an observation point to help isolate the problem. 2. Automate the loading of additional code using the new preferences feature. After each step check whether #testBasic now fails. This hopefully makes it reproducible and facilitates divide and conquer to isolate which code is interfering with the debugger.
A possible startup script (pseudocode)
  Transcript open.
  Transcript crShow: 'Loading A failures = '
  Load the code for A
  Transcript show: ( DebuggerTest run: #testBasic ) failures size
  Transcript crShow: 'Loading B failures = '
  Load the code for B
  Transcript show: ( DebuggerTest run: #testBasic ) failures size
  ...etc

Execute `StartupLoader example` to generate a template startup script.

Unzip a fresh image. Seed the local package cache from a previous image. Run the image.

3. Set Debugger>>logDebuggerStackToFile and see if anything spits out (note I haven't used this myself - just saw it in the code)
cheers, -ben

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
Sig,

Has there been any decision/update on this?  One good suggestion to get to the
bottom of my problem is to set a breakpoint in the snapshot code.  But, I
currently have little faith that this will reveal an offender, because one of
the early symptoms of my images going bad is that debuggers will no longer open.

If reverting a change or whatever else fixes this, it could be a big help in
finding my problem, if not (via event sensor) a fix to it.

Bill