I don't know your project scope, but these pointers may help you to grab some features to implement:

http://www.tm4.org/mev/features

Also take a look into the Circular Genome Viewer: http://wishart.biology.ualberta.ca/cgview/gallery.html

specially the browsable maps

http://wishart.biology.ualberta.ca/BacMap/cgview_linked_maps/NC_003198/index.html

check out the Expand+ and Rotate+ operations

Other very nice engine is Circos

http://circos.ca/

which contains plots that has been published in Science, Nature and PLOS.

Cheers,

Hernán