Ciprian Teodorov wrote:
Another feature that I think it is missing in most (if not all) graph
viewers/layout systems/editors is the possibility to have connection ports
on the hierarchical nodes in order to preserve the connections passing
through the hierarchy.

some pointers:

http://www.slideshare.net/teodorov/tools-and-crossbarbased-nanocmos-architectures

http://stiff.univ-brest.fr/~cteodorov/manuscript-teodorov_FINAL.pdf