I am just starting with Pharo and would like to learn what is being offered
at www.pharo-project.org.  (I'm also partial to Ubuntu packages, for which
the Pharo Project site helpfully provides instructions.)  However,  all
tutorial documentation seems to point to a VM and image that are four years
old.

Is there any attempt at providing a PBE image that works with a current VM
or documentation that matches the VM and image offered?

Since the examples (BouncingAtomsMorph, package browser, class browser,
button / menu settings) don't appear to be there for the newer VM and image
-- at least not in ways that are obvious to a newcomer, is there a point to
learning something that is obsolete?  (Or, alternatively, is there a point
in learning the new Pharo?) I'd rather not learn something and then have to
immediately unlearn / forget it.