The VM from the ppa installs just the necessary 32 bit libs for it to
run, I think in the VM directory.  To run an older VM you have to do it
yourself with the ia32-libs:multiarch package. And of course you don't
need all the libs provided by that package but I'm not sure what you do
and don't need.