Hi ubuntourist,

Its probably more helpful to think of it like learning to drive a car.
Yes we may want to learn and be taught in the family's brand new car but
you can get the hang of things equally well in the 7 yr old sedan. The
differences between not knowing how to drive and knowing how to drive
are smaller than the differences between the cars.

Other than the BouncingAtomsMorph the things you mention as missing are
in the new image but look and act a little differently.  Start with the
old stuff to get the concepts. When you move to the new stuff it'll be
like learning to drive a stick shift after getting your license in an
automatic.

Ask questions plenty of questions.

Good luck

Paul