On 21 November 2013 22:40, Sean P. DeNigris <s...@clipperadams.com> wrote:

> I'm wrapping the FMOD cross-platform audio library. The code is MIT and
> lives
> at http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SeanDeNigris/FMOD
>
> ========
> Problem #1:
> ========
>
> I'm calling into the FMOD library with:
> primStoreIsPlaying: channelHandle in: isPlayingHandle
>         <primitive: #primitiveNativeCall module: #NativeBoostPlugin>
>
>         "FMOD_RESULT FMOD_Channel_IsPlaying(
>                 FMOD_CHANNEL *channel,
>                 bool *isplaying);"
>
>         ^ self nbCall: #(FMOD_RESULT
> FMOD_Channel_IsPlaying(NBExternalAddress
> channel, NBExternalAddress isPlayingHandle)).
>
> I call the above with:
>     isPlaying
>         | isPlaying |
>         isPlaying := NBExternalAddress new.
>         self primStoreIsPlaying: channel in: isPlaying.
>         ^ isPlaying value > 0.
>
> isPlaying is always 0. The method works directly from C with:
> int isPlaying = 1;
>     while (isPlaying) {
>         FMOD_Channel_IsPlaying(channel, &isPlaying);
>     }
>
> I also tried changing the callout signature to "... bool* isPlayingHandle)"
> and passing "isPlaying := true." instead of using the NBExternalAddress
> stuff.
>
> err.. again, you must pass an address where value will be stored,

^ self nbCall: #(FMOD_RESULT FMOD_Channel_IsPlaying(

> NBExternalAddress channel, NBExternalAddress * isPlayingHandle)).

otherwise you passing NULL pointer, and i quite surprised it not segfaults
when you call it like that (looks like they have a check in the library )

 you can also use NBExternalTypeValue for that:

boolValueClass := NBExternalTypeValue ofType: 'bool'. "sure thing, creating
anonymous class for each call is overkill, this should be done once,
somewhere else"

boolValue := boolValueClass new.

self callTheThingWith: boolValue.

boolValue value ifTrue: [... blah]

(and this will work, assuming you have bool* in signature for this
argument).

I have a few more questions, but this is the most pressing as it's holding