Hi,

Is really nice to see this talk happening. I want to use Pharo for data narratives (it can be open/garage/citizen science or data Journalism) and I have recently talked about this on this list and the ones of Moose and SciSmalltalk, but seems that the thread initialized by Volkert got more traction, so I will continue here, which seems like a better place.

I would like to advocate that the conditions for a Notebook for visual data narratives and open/citizen/garage science made in Smalltalk are there now that we have Pharo 3, Roassal and Moose Playgrounds. I think that this notebook could be made essentially by putting these playgrounds ordered in a tree/outliner. I have made a similar argument for a tree like interface for IPython notebooks on [1] and I'm using this tree-like writing experience for my own writing of my PhD Thesis [2] (Spanish) and I have started to explore some visual data narratives in Roassal/Moose[3] (Spanish).

[1] http://mutabit.com/mutabit/default/wiki/ipython-deepness
[2] http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/la-forma-en-que-escribo-para-el-doctorado.html [3] http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/borrachos-bochinche-futbol.html

I'm just making a mockup of this using Moose browsers while I learn Pharo with this problem oriented approach. I will ask in another thread my specific questions about the issues I found while working on this project. I think that the Tudor's video about PostgreSQL and visualization is a glimpse of the possibilities and Kilion work interfacing with blender/python shows that this outline could be even interface with IPython notebooks. Outliners can be a proper metaphor for exploratory computing and writing and as org-mode has shown, this simple but powerful metaphor can be a game changer. This are good times for data narratives in Pharo. I would try to help with this.

Cheers,

Offray