"The Configuration Browser is nice, but it still doesn't provide any
kind of description for the packages. I mean, looking at the list of
packages, I can probably guess what "Dependency Analyser" does, but I
have exactly zero chance in guessing what Epicea, Ephestos, Illiad,
Kendrick, Mandrill, Marina, Pastell, Pillar or Ston are about. Even a
single line description, displayed in a tooltip, would be a huge
improvement. Can this be added?"

I am the creator of Ephestos , its a library that allow Pharo to be used
for scripting Blender (free 3d graphics application). Epicea is for
managing changes if I remember correctly, Ston is an implementation of JSON
in smalltalk , Pillar is a way to create latex files using Pharo its used
by most recent pharo documentation like the Updated Pharo By Example. I
think adding a tooltip is not enough a better option would have been a
panel that offers a detailed description (a paragraph or two of text)
together with other technical info .

"2. SmalltalkHub seems to have no way of browsing all available
packages. When I'm starting with Pharo and I don't know how some
library I need is called, I'm essentially out of luck: I need to do
much googling or ask on a mailing list, which both take more time than
it should. I see that " The following is a preview of the exploration
features of SmalltalkHub. More to come!" message is still there - I
remember it from a year or more back. Is this considered such a low
priority task, or is it just that nobody had enough time to work on
it?"

Right now Smalltalkhub is pretty much abandonware , this is why I have been
recommending to people to move to github . I have been using github for
more than 6 month now with pharo and works like a charm and there are other
pharo developers that do too. Pharo community just does not have the
resources and the man power to solve all these problems with pharo
implementations.

"One more question: besides asking on a mailing list, is there any
other way of learning about it? Is it linked from somewhere, or does
it need a lot of googling and luck (ie. googling for "pharo catalog
packages" doesn't return this link, at least on the first page of
results)."

I think that can be solved by moving projects to github, there its easier
to find news about project you care and new projects. Several blogs also
exist that mention new projects etc. Another great source is youtube and
vimeo where pharoers including myself have been uploading demos of our
projects for years now. Following the mailing lists is a very good idea
too.

"In general I have a feeling that discoverability of Pharo packages is
very bad right now. It's a serious problem for new users, and even to
a bit more advanced users who return to Pharo after some time of not
following announcements."

Pharo is not a good choice for begineers , noob friendly solutions requires
a lot more work than what you would expect, documentation, blogs, websites,
video tutorials. Pharo does not have the size of community to provide that
but is in a very good road towards that direction. So I am afraid that this
wont change any time soon. I tried to make my own contibution into
improving the situation other like Stef and Damien and others have done
much more and they definitely care but is just too much work for just a few
people.