How was it implemented? Were you building it as an additional package for the
system?
How would it support browsability and discoverability?

I had in mind a wiki-like catalog hosted on the official page composed by:
-A tree of categories (like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software_categories , it doesn't have
to be complete from the start, categories could be added a posteriori when
needed)
-A set of tags (nice add, but prescindible)
-For each included package, a page specifying a set of predefined fields
(description/purpose, owners contact, links to documentation if available ).

Those familliar with a package could submit it's fileds information, and a
rotating group of volunteers could handle its approval and edting a new page
for it. Or should anyone be able to edit?

I think hosting it in the official page is best because it would be
indexable by any web search engine , unrestrictedly visible and could be
exported by other tools.