It would be nice to have a parser to rule them all. I am currently using
SmaCC and gets the job done. I really like its condense syntax and its
syntax tool but also love the smalltalky feel of pettit parser.

Maybe one must bite the bullet and write perfomance critical parts in C or
even use a C parsing engine as a back end of pettit parser ?