I used to think like you (same names think alike ;) )
But Doru and Andrei convinced me that this way is better:

1) you actually have a save of everything you do in your Playground in
play-cache subdirectory. You can even change the place your play-cache is, then
you can share scripts between your images.
You access them with the elipsis button (super cool, I never wrote an external
file again after learning this).

2) you can name your playgrounds by double clicking the “Page” tab. Then they
can be found with spotter easily. Some observations here:
- would be cool if this named page appears also in the elipsis list (it doesn’t)
- as I said to Doru, the fact that you can double click and change name is not
obvious and I do not thing anyone has realised they can. Adding an edit icon or
something that indicates the field is editable would be cool.

please, before rejecting it and came back to older ways, give this a try… I
thought as you (Doru can testify how strong I was on it) and now I’m convinced
this is a lot better and GTools team has a point here :)

cheers,
Esteban