> On 19 May 2015, at 16:51, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaring...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It took thousands of programmers decades of work in many different languages
>> to create this variety. I'd hate to see the smaller Pharo community pour
>> tons of effort into re-inventing these solutions.
>>
>> Which is why I'm suggesting that it may be more helpful to re-frame the
>> problem. General purpose window management is a problem that has been solved
>> many times over. Do you really want to do it yet again? I suspect that with
>> some careful examination of Pharo coding workflows, you could find a way to
>> obviate the need for zillions of windows, and solve a simpler problem
>> instead.
>
> +1

+1

Esteban

ps: (and two Esteban’s counts exponentially :P)
pps: but there are also other problems to take into account, and that’s also
community culture. I know many people finds the amount of windows opened
somekind stressing when they arrive to our little world… but it actually fits a
purpose and change it to other solutions just because “everybody else does it”
can probably do not work. A suitable solution for LISP does not need to be a
suitable solution to Pharo, just out of the box. Which of course does not means
I would not want to explore more efficient workflows.
ppps: And of course, there is the effort that starting in other direction goes…
even copying an existing IDE workflow would be a lot of work for us, so
sometimes is better just to incrementally enhance, even if that means we will
keep some metaphors during more time than desired.
pppps: as I always say in this list, human-computer interaction is not an easy
field and is very studied, so is not easily solvable with our always subjective
opinion. In that sense, I completely share the feeling that we need to keep
studying and experimenting with other communities experiences until we find
something that we can reengineer into something we need/want.
ppppps: I ran out of “ps”, but I couldn’t resist to put five “p" in a line :)