Yes, the mentality of Pharo has not escaped my attention.

This mentality says that "if you build it, they will come." Keep improving
the platform and eventually people will find it. **Or not.** You don't
really care. (As an aside, **how** will they find it???)

This mentality sequesters Pharo within its boutique or clubhouse. The tool
is used only by a limited cadre of exuberant fans, and outsiders, while
they're welcome to join, *will not be missed if they go elsewhere*.

This mentality says that the *size* of the Pharo community is not especially
important. Big, small, or medium...you don't really care, as long as
*you're* having a good time with Pharo. The problem with this mentality is
that **a healthy library ecosystem is dependent upon a user community that
grows large enough to support it**.

In other words, until the user community reaches **critical mass**, a strong
library ecosystem will not develop. Without a strong ecosystem, the breadth
of applicability to various problem domains is severely limited.

Why would you want to limit the breadth of applicability of a programming
language? Especially one that purports to be **general purpose**.

kilon.alios wrote