On Pet, 2015-12-25 at 16:01 +0000, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

> I am on holidays to at London for Christmas with no direct access to
> my machine.

Thanks a lot for your tutorial series and please, enjoy your holidays.
;)

> But you can get a very good idea how to do what you want by taking a
> look at standalone Pharo apps like Phratch and Dr Geo .

Phratch looks awesome, thank you for the reference.

> You can also add squeak to your google searches because they have been
> several posts about this in the squeak mailing list . Pharo is
> incompatible with squeak but it's still a fork of squeak so there is
> a lot of common ground.

OK.

> After that you can start removing packages you don't need, Pharo is in
> the process of of being modularlized so that is easy to start with a
> skeleton image.

The modularization process is going within V5.0?

> If you are in need of a specific Pharo library choosing Cuis which is
> also a squeak fork is simple and much lighter than Pharo image. Squeak
> , Pharo and Cuis share the same VMs.

I do not mind the size of the image since most software written in other
programming languages is also usually quite bloated.

Moreover, it seesm Cuis is not so actively developed as Pharo, so I tend
to focus on staying with Pharo.

> Las but not least if you are on Windows there has been a thread on our
> list on how to make window installers for Pharo apps the easy way. You
> may want to google that too, I think Damien made a guide about it .

Well, I only run Linux (Debian), but in order to produce installer for
Windows, I might use Windows under vbox, although there is slight
problem - the last license of Windows which I own is for XP. :-)

In any case, I'm excited to explore the world of Pharo. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free

The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing
such engagements by experiencing a higher taste,
he is fixed in consciousness.

The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing
such engagements by experiencing a higher taste,
he is fixed in consciousness.

An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery,
which are due to contact with the material senses. O son of Kuntī,
such pleasures have a beginning and an end, and so the wise man does
not delight in them.

One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,
and his enemy as well.