After that you can start removing packages you don't need, Pharo is in
the process of of being modularlized so that is easy to start with a
skeleton image.
The modularization process is going within V5.0?
Yes and it started from day one.
We are continuously working on it. It is just a daunting task.
We changed a lot of design decision to support a modular system (such as settings)
and we will continue to do.
And I can tell you that it will pay off for real :)
People only look at the top of the iceberg but below we are working a lot (like new way of
expressing start up dependencies).
If you are in need of a specific Pharo library choosing Cuis which is
also a squeak fork is simple and much lighter than Pharo image. Squeak
, Pharo and Cuis share the same VMs.
I do not mind the size of the image since most software written in other
programming languages is also usually quite bloated.

Moreover, it seesm Cuis is not so actively developed as Pharo, so I tend
to focus on staying with Pharo.

People are fun. They want excellent tools like GSpotter but not their cost :).
For your information we are working on a bootstrap and during our experience
we got a small core in 80k :) So once the bootstrap will be ready for Pharo 50
we will start to build Pharo incrementally from this core.
So yes Pharo is moving and our goal is to change the programmer experience.

Well, I only run Linux (Debian), but in order to produce installer for
Windows, I might use Windows under vbox, although there is slight
problem - the last license of Windows which I own is for XP. :-)

In any case, I'm excited to explore the world of Pharo. ;)
Super :)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free

The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing
such engagements by experiencing a higher taste,
he is fixed in consciousness.

The embodied soul may be restricted from sense enjoyment,
though the taste for sense objects remains. But, ceasing
such engagements by experiencing a higher taste,
he is fixed in consciousness.

An intelligent person does not take part in the sources of misery,
which are due to contact with the material senses. O son of Kuntī,
such pleasures have a beginning and an end, and so the wise man does
not delight in them.