Le 25/12/15 17:02, Saša Janiška a écrit :
Hiya,

I see that Pharo project has embraced Pillar system for documentation
purposes and my first question was "Why Pillar?" since, iirc, comparison
was made with e.g Markdown which is, obviously, not sufficient for eg.
authoring books, but there are more capable markups with 'standard'
implementations like rst/Sphinx and Asciidoc(tor).

Then I thought it must be some deeper reason, iow. something suitable to
work more closely with Pharo itself.

Now I have two questions:

1) Can someone answer in more detail "Why Pillar?" and

Pillar exists before Markdown.
We did pillar syntax back in 2002.

2) For some time I was considering whether to settle on using rst or
AsciiDoc for *all* my writings, which means blog posts, my study notes,
preparing books, writing articles etc.

We do that with Pillar because we have the control over it and because
we have it since long time. The seaside book was fully written in pillar.

Since I've settled to use Python-powered static-site-generator (Nikola)
along with reStructuredText markup which can call external 'compilers'
to process blog posts written in specific markup, I wonder if it would
be possible to use Pillar markup with it since it seems there is cli for
it?
Check Ecstatic (we should do another pass on it). The idea is to use pillar + mustache
to generate static web pages.

Sincerely,
Gour