On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Hilaire <hila...@drgeo.eu> wrote:
> Le 05/01/2016 14:38, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
>> The problem can does also be restated: it is really necessary for a tool to
>> convert 1000s of items to strings, even if only 10s are shown at the same
>> time on a screen ?
>>
>> I believe that fast table tries to do better here.
> But I need to show 1000s of them once, all in the same view, at the same
> time.

Is it that the same 1000 strings are being rendered multiple times a
second?  I had a similar problem with Roassal 1 with a unicode char
massively slowing down to UI.  I managed to achieve fairly normal
response time by cached the Freetype calculated width of the string.
I found the right place to do this by both profiling the whole system,
and just the rendering by wrapping MessaeTally around the code of
fullDrawOn: .

Then I cache both the string and its calculated length from the
rendering code, then if the cached string is the same as current I
just returned the cached length.

Sorry I can't be clearer.
cheers -ben