> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM Werner Kassens <wkass...@libello.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dimitris,
>> your formulation "...Pharo bytcode...and convert it to machine code..."
>> is insofar irritating to me as "convert it to machine code" would
>> suggest to me that a compiler is at work here. Davids "executing Pharo
>> byte-code" seems more understandable to me here.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:27 PM, Dimitris Chloupis
<kilon.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thats correct its a compiler, a byte compiler, it compiles bytecode to
> machine code and it does it while the code executes, this is why its called
> JIT , which has the meaning of Just In Time compilation, meaning that
> machine code is compiled just before the code is executed so several
> optimizations can be applied that would not be known before the execution of
> the code. Similar to JAVA's JIT compiler.
>
> Note here that a compiler is not just something that produces machine code,
> a compiler for example can take one language and compile it to another
> language.

Indeed.  The OpalCompiler takes Smalltalk and produces bytecode.

However I think Sven and Werner were referring that much of Pharo code
is not JITd, but *merely* interpreted (IIUC).  See section "Not so
smart questions" here...
https://clementbera.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/the-sista-chronicles-i-an-introduction-to-adaptive-recompilation/

cheers -ben