On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Dimitris Chloupis
<kilon.al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> taskbarTask (self valueOfProperty: #noTaskbarTask ifAbsent: [ false ])
> ifTrue: [ ^ nil ]. ^ nil "TaskbarTask morph: self state: self taskbarState
> icon: self taskbarIcon label: self taskbarLabel"
>
> The uncommented part was the one that was slowing me down, its a copy from
> SystemWindow, on a new image of Pharo consumption drops to 15% but still
> have issues with Nautilus etc.
>
> latsabben at Slack also recommended caching which helped also
>
> taskbarTask "myTask := nil." myTask ifNil: [ myTask := TaskbarTask morph:
> self state: self taskbarState icon: self taskbarIcon label: self
> taskbarLabel ]. myTask label: self taskbarLabel. ^myTask
>
> Anyway I decided to port my project to C++ and Unreal Engine because I have
> many issues with Pharo speed wise

See my other post, in about an hour I moved your App from 55% cpu
usage on my machine to 7%, only 1% above our 6% idle.   We *do* need
to address that minimum idle, but its at the VM level since in-Image
profiling shows 90% time in ProcessorScheduler class>>idleProcess.  So
to me the Image seems not too bad performance wise

> and stability wise with Pharo 5.

Well, you are talking about bleeding edge alpha software.

> Plus many IDE features I miss like proper auto completion etc.

You've probably mentioned this somewhere previously, but in another
thread could you leave us with a summary of what is missing from auto
completion.

> To be fair I tried to make custom gui with python and it was even slower in
> the past.
>
> So its clear I need a high performance language + API, because I will be
> building a very heavy GUI (many more animations)  and I would like also some
> fast 3d functionality too.

good luck with it.
cheers -ben