Welcome!

Stef

Le 11/4/16 20:40, Alistair Grant a écrit :
Hi Serge,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 09:46:02AM +0200, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Alistair Grant <akgrant0...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also my first week with Pharo, and first week with Smalltalk in over 20 years.
Congrats !
Tell us what is your experience until now ;-)
I was the technical lead of a team that programmed with VisualWorks 2.5
for several years in the 90's, porting it to VMS (VAX and Aplha) and
writing a real-time graphical interface for monitoring and controlling
the water distribution in one of the capital cities in Australia
(Brisbane).

The UI allowed users to build a library of widgets from basic shapes,
e.g. valves, pumps, reservoirs, etc.  They could then be built up to
schematics and attached to a real-time database, receiving events
whenever a value changed.  E.g. valves would change shape or colour
depending on whether they were open or closed, alarms would flash, a
pump would show its flow rate, etc.

We tested it receiving up to 1200 events per second (this was in the
days when a 100MHz RISC processor was the best available (from memory)).
All the graphics, event management and query optimisation were in
Smalltalk, the database query execution and event delivery was in C (the
database was in-memory and didn't support any query language, that all
had to be done by the client).

I left the company a year or so later.  I heard that it was replaced
some years after I left, but I'm not sure when that happened.

Cheers,
Alistair