you dont need gitfiletree to use git with pharo, I use just filetreee and
gitup which an excellent git client for macos

You can find the cause of the problem but it wont be simple. This is a C
problem not a pharo problem, meaning something is wrong with that library.

To really find out what you will need to load the library from C and use
the error detection functions to find what is wrong, you could use them
from pharo too but you will still need to understand C to make use of the
FFI.

Unfortunately I cannot help much in this case because its more or less a
continuous testing process. This is how I learned to do shared memory via
the FFI. Made the code in C first and then ported to Pharo. I had to
perform dozens of test to get it right and had to battle with dozens of
errors.

I have both Pharo 6 and Pharo 5 working fine on my macos sierra , so it
must be something wrong with your system.