On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:02 AM askoh <as...@askoh.com> wrote:

> This is a quote from Bob Martin of "Clean Code" fame. Enjoy, Aik-Siong Koh
>
> http://blog.cleancoder.com/uncle-bob/2016/05/01/TypeWars.html

There is no war, nowadays you can mix languages together with ease, pick
the one you prefer and do not make it a big deal.Personally I am
indifferent when it comes to types, do not care if I declare them or not.

Furthermore the choice of a language is 99% its libraries why bother with
the 1%. If the library you want is on Smalltalk you will pick Smalltalk
sadly C++ wins here with its vastness of libraries that have allowed such
an ugly language  to exist for so long.

I do not see why its necessary for the type to be embedded in the language
why not be meta data using a popular format like JSON and that will give
you the freedom to limit the types or not depending on the situation.

I love the smalltalk attitude of shifting the focus from the language to
the libraries and IDE. A gigantic syntax like C++ is a gigantic problem.

But to be fair C++ has come a long way, smart pointers have lifted the pain
of manual memory management, templates have helped with implementing
dynamic types. There is also a lot of talk of replacing the header system
with a module system like python. So C++ is definitely evolving. The game
engine I am using Unreal C++ has even further boosted the language not only
by using templates to offer dynamism but also offers manual GC and a
limited reflection system.

However the source of the popularity of C++ has been Microsoft and
Microsoft has been pushing a lot lately of its own language C# more
aggressively lately by open sourcing .NET and investing on cross platform
development.  C++ will of course keep being the choice of top performance
apps and libraries. When a new feature in C++ performance comes first
because that where the language focus on. We have a different goal.

So no I do not think Smalltalk will ever win on this one when it comes to
performance C++ has demonstrated that its syntax though very problematic
and quite annoying , it still is the No 1 choice.