Kilion,
In Haskell (a language that I love, just as Smalltalk) you have the REPL.
The workflow is, while you are working on the project, you periodically load
that file into the REPL and check. After that you compile. Haskell works
with a strong type inference feature, however most Haskellers will say that
the best practice is to annotate all functions. Also if you are on macOS you
have: http://haskellformac.com/ which is awesome, really a great piece of
software. There was even a project called Kronos that was essentially the
same as IPython but with a Haskell kernel I don't know the status of that
project as of today, I really never used it.
just my 2c
best
Nacho

-----