I personally don't care about the interests of big corporations cheating
with end-users' rights. If they were my potential customers, or any
intermediary which is afraid of not being able to do business with them due
to their obsession with restricting end-users' rights, then I'd probably
have a conflict of interest. In that case, I could think of sacrificing
ethics for food temporarily. But I'm not in that business, and I don't want
to.

I won't blame the GPL instead of the "old culture" of doing business by
forcing customers to do only what you want them to do, and make them pay
for any upgrade some of them could do themselves otherwise.

Distributing works with GPL restricts the options to other developers using
your product or library. No doubt about that. But ethically, that "freedom"
only helps the old model of doing software. All software should be GPLd in
the first place.

There's a book that indirectly illustrates my point, and one I
enthusiastically recommend: Badass users [1].

Anyway, we could go on and on. It's a matter of pragmatism vs ethics of
software.

Usually, people sharing your "classic" point of view of the business of
software don't understand why people write free software and give it for
free.
Is that your case?

[1] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920036593.do