We will have to agree to disagree.

I have been a passionate user of open source software for over 20 years. Are you really saying that proponents of permissive licenses don't understand why people write free software and give it away for free? Really!

I passionately disagree with the statement of "All software should be GPLd in the first place". This is one of the biggest reasons I passionately dislike the GPL. GPL is goodness and light. All else is evil incarnate. Ugh!

I am not going to defend unethical business practices. But that is not a defense of the GPL or an argument against permissive licenses. I am not a fan Microsoft or Apple, et al. I am a fan FreeBSD and Linux. However I do not believe all closed source or proprietary software is wrong or evil.

I am working my way through the book you suggested. But so far I fail to see where it makes the argument for the GPL and against permissive licenses.

For the record. I am not a professional programmer. All software I am working on if I were to release it (or when) will be under a permissive license, unless it is a port of GPLd software. I am not in the business of software. I am an empowered user. Open source software empowers me more the proprietary software. Permissively licensed software empowers me more than GPLd software**. That is not currently the case for everyone and every situation. One day it we may come closer to that being true. But it takes time. And it takes proper motivation and resources.

**There are many situations that I cannot use GPLd source, but can use permissively licensed source. MIT/BSD empowers where, GPL does not. Here in this community, with this software. GPL is a no go. It is a show stopper. MIT/BSD is welcomed and wanted. Many other communities are likewise.

As I said, we will have to agree to disagree. I doubt that anything above persuades you in any way.

Regardless, I wish you well and have a great day!

Jimmie