Hello, thanks for the reply.

I have thought about recursive and unfortunately it is not in my opinion an adequate or equivalent substitute. It may be inoffensive, but it is not accurate in conveying those properties or characteristics of the GPL. Something that is recursive generally makes repeated calls to itself. It is neatly contained and does not propagate outside of itself. Calling a recursive method does not make the call chain all the way up to main recursive. The recursive method does its recursion and generally returns its result back to the caller, ending the recursion. The only thing the caller receives is the results, not the recursion.

There are many positive cultural references to something viral or infect(ious). For something to go viral, depends on what that something is. She has an infectious smile, or laugh. Even in biology where we get the term viral. It is not absolutely or always negative. There are things that scientist attempt to use viral characteristics to do good things. Context is everything.

There are no words a GPL proponent could provide which adequately or otherwise describe the viral characteristic of the GPL that would be considered positive by a GPL opponent.

Back to context.

To a GPL proponent, the viral nature of the GPL is considered a positive and good thing. It is the primary reason to choose and use the GPL.

To the GPL opponent, the viral nature of the GPL is considered a negative and bad thing. It is the primary reason to oppose and to avoid using the GPL.

Two side both viewing the same exact thing and understanding it very differently. One positive, one negative. There is no positive spin for this aspect of the GPL for someone wishing to avoid that aspect. No matter what words are chosen.

For the MIT/BSD person we don't necessarily care if you wish to license your software under the GPL. What we care is that your software is expressly and explicitly trying to override our choices and compel us to become GPL. That is what we don't like. The fact that GPL software is GPL software in perpetuity is okay. Just leave us alone. But we know that is not how the GPL works.

A perspective occurred to me this morning. The original author of GPL software is not bound by the GPL. They have freedoms the GPL takes away. They have the freedom to turn their software into closed source, proprietary software. They have the freedom to not release all of their modifications. They have the freedom to not infect all their other software which may use this otherwise GPLd code. They have freedom to relicense their software. They have many, many freedoms which the GPL removes from everyone who receives the GPLd software. The original author of GPL software has for himself MIT like freedoms.

What we on the MIT/BSD side of things want is for everybody to have all of the freedoms the original author of the software has. People who receive our software maintain all freedoms.

I have seen over the years many GPL licensed projects change to some more permissive license. Once they did so, the success of the project improved. They had greater buy in, and an increase in use. It increased the size of the open source community and an increase in the code base of an open source project. These are good things.

Here I will let it rest. I don't know what else can be expressed to help clarify both sides.

Jimmie