> Le 7 oct. 2017 à 14:26, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com> a écrit :
>
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@gmail.com
> <mailto:nicolaih...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Just starting pharolauncher on windows still does not work (if you put it
> into the default "program" folder).
> On start, it tries to create a local direcitory "pharo-local" and does not
> have the permission to do so.
> You need to start it with admin-rights.
>
> Why are we making it harder for Windows users in corporate environments by
> requiring them to have admin-rights they often won't have, while in Linux
> PharoLancher is installed into user folders?

« Program » folder is the default location where to install apps on Windows.
If a user does not have admin rights, he can simply install it under its home
directory.

> Also there is the UAC Virtualization fiasco that complicates installing
> upgrades.
> http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-dev_lists.pharo.org/2014-January/091645.html
>
> <http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-dev_lists.pharo.org/2014-January/091645.html>
>
> Could we *please* install Windows PharoLauncher into user folders?

Users can choose to install Pharo Launcher where they wish.
We could choose another default location but not sure it is best option.

To me, the real problem is: why does Pharo apps (and Pharo Launcher) needs to
write data in the application directory? By example, for Pharo Launcher, we do
not need to load any code nor to backup sessions.