Hi Kilon,

disclaimer: I've used Parcplace Smalltlk without namespaces, then
VisualWorks with namespaces.

> Personally I dont get it, we find the path to bootstrap the pharo image
> clear and we cannot see the path to namespaces ?

Because namespaces, by essence, come with serious issues. I won't take
someone seriously on namespaces until he can cite those faithfully.

> it makes zero sense to me
>
> Plus what you say, countless and countless of implementation of namespaces
> out there. And again what you say about perfection.
>
> If C++ can improve, If C++ can dream of namespaces planning the
> introduction of modules(in future version) in replacement (not removal) of
> his awful header file format.... I think we got the excuse to be confident
> we can come up with something decent.

C++ is about adding incidental complexity to the development process, i.e.
how to make something complex where it could be done in a simpler way.

So I'd be very wary of any innovation coming from that direction.

> We develop a freaking IDE for crying out loud.
>
> No it wont be a walk in the park, no it wont get done in one or next
> version, and no it cannot be an individual our outside effort. But we have
> the community super qualified to do it.

And qualified enough maybe to also see it doesn't make that much of sense.

Please remember that the design of a programming language consists not just
in a laundry list of features, but also in making judicious choices of what
to *omit* and, more importantly, in establishing design principles that are
easy to understand [Steele, 2003]

Thierry