I’ll agree that YAML is not an ideal syntax - but I have to also add that I
wasn’t that impressed with Travis either, and reading between the lines its the
combo of both that might be catching you out.

Even with a few glitches, I’ve been impressed with GitLab although the team I
worked with recently found that CircleCI was more to their liking. In both
cases you have much more control about what is going on. It may be that you
need something a bit more heavy duty - and it might be worth checking out some
of the alternatives.

Tim