Hi Phil,

On 27/04/18 03:02, p...@highoctane.be wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
> <offray.l...@mutabit.com <mailto:offray.l...@mutabit.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica
>     2018,
>     next week. As you may know, re:publica[2] is one of the most important
>     and visible media & digital culture conventions in Europe and is a
>     good
>     scenario for the Pharo community.  You can find details about my
>     participation at [1]
>

> The "on how to use the Grafoscopio /pocket infrastructure/ for data
> activism and digital citizenship " soundbite just blew my mind.
>
> "Pocket Infrastructure" hits the nail on the head for sure.
> I positively love that angle.
> Compared to python, node, etc, there is much less fuss to get started
> and it allows to focus on the data narrative right away.
>
> I regularly make folders in my Dropbox where I throw a pharo vm and a
> pharo image I work on, saved
> using https://github.com/Pharophile/HOImageSaver so that I can always
> working on machine A, and resuming work on machine B, or C etc.
> And is indeed "Pocket Infrastructure".

I think that pocket infrastructures are a powerful concept for inclusion
and participation, specially in the times of fancy exclusionary "Big
Data" and "Artificial Intelligence" buzzwords and discourses that don't
take into account who becomes data of who, who will have the access,
storage and processing capability in those forecast futures. In contrast
Pocket Infrastructures are inclusive by default, being self-contained,
simple and working well in on/off line contexts.

Pharo, in the live coding environment front and Fossil, in the DVCS
front, work pretty well for that working definition of Pocket
Infrastructures.  Is impressive that just under 50 Mb anyone can have a
Jupyter+GitHub alike environment for data storytelling, visualization
and reproducible research that just run in their pockets and low end
machines (and of course, big server and anything in between). We tried
before with IPython notebook and other more complex stuff and we were
dealing with external complexities instead of going right into story
telling + coding + data viz. Of course, Jupyter and GitHub are a lot
more popular that Grafoscopio + Fossil, but they're also traveling the
most traverse path, while I think that a lot of valuable innovation
comes, by definition, from the margins and that can give Pharo ecosystem
an advantage point over other more popular approaches, as practice have
demonstrated time and again.

>     [1]
>
> https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits
>
> <https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits>
>     [2] https://18.re-publica.com/en
>
>     I will be making intensive refactoring on the Dataviz package to
>     create
>     some usual and unusual data visualizations from data exported from
>     Twitter, so I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
>     list channels, is some questions arise.
>

> Do you already use DiscordSt?

No. I'm kind of bad at chat real-time messaging communication (It
occupies mostly of my attention and I'm less focused on other stuff). I
found myself being more focused while muting the real-time communication
channels and going to them for specific times/activities and for short
periods. What is DiscordSt?

>     Thanks in advance for the Pharo communities support. I wouldn't be
>     able
>     to be there without it.
>

> What you achieve with Pharo makes me proud of supporting Pharo.
> Kudos Offray, we need more people like you in the world.
>
> _/\_
>
> Phil

Thanks for such kind words. I not only wouldn't be able to do it without
the community support, but particularly without the interest that people
like you, Phil, show on these themes and approaches. So is really worthy
to be in a community where different people can share interests, care
about each other and start small by just helping each other with
proofreading, encouraging words, scholarships, coffee and beers, and
even some times, code reviews and software improvements. Thanks a lot
for (m)any of those.

Cheers,

Offray