The first attempt at a competition was a Kickstarter campaign. No money was
collected, because Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing affair. (In other words,
you didn't actually lose any money.)

Cincom had pledged $5,000, but because it was all-or-nothing, they wriggled
out of it. Otherwise, we could've run a downscaled competition. I've learned
from that mistake and chosen to use GoFundMe.

If necessary, I shall run a downscaled competition, assuming that I get
reasonable funding. The last thing I want to do is run a chintzy peanuts
contest; it would do absolutely nothing for Smalltalk.

Tim Mackinnon wrote