> On 26 Jun 2018, at 15:24, Norbert Hartl <norb...@hartl.name> wrote:
>

>> Am 26.06.2018 um 14:52 schrieb Andrei Stebakov <lisper...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Does anyone use Pharo for Miro services? I heard about Seaside and Teapot,
>> just was wondering if Pharo can handle multiple simultaneous requests and if
>> it can, where it reaches the limit.
>
> I use it extensively. I use Zinc-REST package to offer services. The answer
> how much it can handle in parallel is hard to answer. For this you need to
> tell what you are about to do. But a rule of thumb is not to exceed 5
> parallel tasks that are working at the same time. But a lot of tasks have
> wait times while accessing another HTTP service, a database, a filesystem
> etc. For this you can easily go up to 10 I guess.
>
> But these numbers are more of a gut feeling then something scientific
>
> Norbert

A single ZnServer instance on a single image can handle thousands of requests
per seconds (local network, very small payload, low concurrency). On a modern
multi core / multi processor machine with lots of memory you can 10s if not
100s of Pharo image under a load balancer, provided you either do not share
state or use high performance state sharing technology - this is the whole
point of REST.

Of course, larger payloads, more complex operations, real world networking, etc
will slow you down. And it is very easy to make some architectural or
implementation error somewhere that makes everything slow. As they say, YMMV.

Sven