> On 16 May 2020, at 09:22, Sven Van Caekenberghe <s...@stfx.eu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Everybody is free to do whatever they want, of course.
>
> My advice would be to not use graphical tools to deploy server applications
> (unless as add ons afterwards, like a dashboard or management app).
>
> Use Linux (Ubuntu is the safest choice).
>
> Stick with headless (no gui) command line tools.
>
> Pharo is very good at this.

Also use 64-bit (that is 64-bit Pharo on 64-bit Linux), it will make your life
much easier.

Here is a short example:

stfx@audio359:~$ mkdir pharo8

stfx@audio359:~$ cd !$
cd pharo8

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  3054  100  3054    0     0  67866      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 69409
Downloading the latest 80 Image:
    http://files.pharo.org/get-files/80/pharo64.zip
Pharo.image
Downloading the latest pharoVM:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/80/pharo64-linux-stable.zip
pharo-vm/pharo
Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit 'ZnServer
startOn: 9090' &
[1] 84125
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ curl http://localhost:9090/random
CF4173824EF6E0D9F336E5464A5FACB8ABEFFD1A6EE7A5F9F6631186F619606

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ jobs
[1]+  Running                 nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit
'ZnServer startOn: 9090' &

stfx@audio359:~/pharo8$ kill %1
[1]+  Terminated              nohup ./pharo Pharo.image eval --no-quit
'ZnServer startOn: 9090'

BTW, nohup is one way to keep something running after you log out (systemctl
services being the pro/real way)