Am I starting to hallucinate, or did I read some time in the last year that
there are plans for a "long term stability" branch of Pharo?  That had me
giving thanks.  Pharo is splendid, and that will give us the best of both
worlds: a stable base for development WITHOUT holding back development of
Pharo itself.

I think Stéphane Ducasse may have completely misunderstood me.  I wonder
what he thinks my "choice" is?  The only choice I'm aware of making is to
continue being engaged with Pharo.  (Hint: I am not on the Squeak mailing
list.  I don't even know if there is one any more.)  The unpleasantly
disparate nature of "Smalltalk" does not make *Pharo* a bad choice, it just
means that anyone who develops in Pharo with the aim of deploying in VW is
facing a much harder task than they might have been led to expect.

I would also like to praise S.D. and his merry band for
(a) the free Smalltalk books
(b) the continuing series of books specifically about Pharo.
Is there some way I can contribute to the Pharo book(let)s?
I'm not too bad at proof-reading.