Hey Tim,

> On 15 Jan 2023, at 4:59 am, Tim Mackinnon <tim@testit.works> wrote:
>
> In fact Boolean logic follows suit. This has far reaching implications which
> just lead to beautiful, compact, readable code.

This is one of the first things I introduce new Smalltalkers to, typically
after the question “How do you do an if / then?”

More often than not, it leads to a “mind-blown” moment. They come to understand
that C++, or Swift, or Java, or Dart, or whatever quasi-oop language they know
has really only added a few OOP concepts to their development (and sometimes
runtime) workflow.

Understanding Smalltalk makes you a better developer in other languages, and
makes it easier to learn new languages, since you clearly see the line between
pure Object Oriented, and Language idiosyncrasies.

> Finally, it’s just a joyful language, and so fun. It makes me smile just to
> write this. And when I read about how the community continues to strive make
> it even simpler - I punch the air.

OMG Yes! I sometimes think of myself as a lazy programmer since the thought of
having "to go back to" C++ or C# or Go makes me wince - It’s just too much work
and not enough fun! :)

I’d also add that once you adopt Smalltalk end-to-end you gain another
significant advantage - no matter the role, your developers can actually
support each other right down to the code.

This isn’t possible with the mish-mash of more “popular” languages and
technologies. The entire development industry has largely become a sausage
factory with jobs so specific in nature that they provide no joy, no diversity,
and no clear path for advancement.

PS The missing piece of the puzzle for Smalltalk ubiquity is a VM with native
UI's on major platforms (MacOS / iOS / Linux / Android / Windows). If we had
that, there’d be no reason / excuse to use any other language :)