Hi Mayuresh,

To add a little bit to the excellent answers thread, I would emphasize that the important thing is effectively the how and not the what, despite of some languages excelling at some particular contexts (for example JavaScript being part of the de-facto emergent glued together under pressure "standard"  for the Web with HTML and CSS being the other two parts of the Manticore) or that, at some point, several of us have listened that all languages being Turing complete are equivalent in such nerdy metric and capable of the same "what", but definitively not of the same how. Even authors like Maxwell in Tracing the Dynabook[1], said that comparing Smalltalk with other computer languages (like Ruby or Python) instead of computer environments misses the point and that a more convenient comparison would be between the Dynabook tradition and the Unix tradition.

[1] https://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopedia/uv/#Tracing%20the%20Dynabook

In the case of Pharo and Smalltalk, I feel them pretty empowering as a way of conceiving computing, where environment, language, tools, apps, conform an explorable/modifiable continuum, instead of all the indirection layers common in the Unix paradigm. This have allow us in the local community to address a set of projects in a pretty different a more agile way to what could be done in languages like Python under Unix (and I tried that combination before confirming my definitive bet for Smalltalk like/inspired metasystems).  As a consequence, we have been able to enable grassroots innovation in several topics that fall under the umbrella of civic tech, including: performative writing and (re)publishing, agile data storytelling and visualization, data feminism, civic hacktivism, reproducible research, making "Big Data" approachable,  hypertextual resilient community and interpersonal memory and presences, among other topics (see our portfolio at [2]).

[2] https://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/offray-blog/uv/bliki/#Portfolio

Even when Pharo/Smalltalk are not suited for every context, you can combine them with external tools (for example when some functionality is not implemented in Pharo or for performance reasons). We have being doing that with Nim language, Lua, Pandoc with pretty good results. So you can be as agile as you need and rely on external tools when needed. Pharo is not only a innovative place/tech with a welcoming, vibrant and responding community, but also is becoming a good team player with other tech ecosystems and tools.

Hope this helps,

Offray