From gbogan...@charter.net  Fri Feb  8 15:38:11 2008
From: gbogan...@charter.net (Greg Bogantz)
Date: Fri Feb  8 15:38:32 2008
Subject: [Phono-L] Victor versus Columbia big guns

Hi Steve,

    I have built several of them.  Each is a slightly different experimental
version on the basic theme.  The best one is very good, but it is still "not
ready for prime time".  It remains pretty user-unfriendly, particularly in
that I haven't figgered out yet how to make the needle change easy to do.
The common needle chuck arrangement that is found on nearly all
commercially-made reproducers is a lot of the problem with them.  They are
easy to use but they contribute too much moving mass to the system.  I'm
still thinkin about how to design a needle mount that is low mass and also
easy to use.  Just as in every other area of acoustic reproducer design,
this one presents diametrically opposing requirements.  Figgering out the
best compromise is where the challenge is.  And the head-scratching.

Greg Bogantz