Have you guys thought about employing a split chuck?  Basically just
two or three vertical slits of about 5 to 7 mm in length, in an
otherwise quite tight fitting holder, with a simple insertable key (or
perhaps built-in) to provide just enough rotational torque to spread
the needle holder at its slits, allowing the needle to drop out by its
own weight.

What do you think?

Andy Baron
Santa Fe