Considering the frailty and the potential for losing the cylinder wouldn't it
make some sense to dub it onto a tape or a CD, and keep the original stored out
of harm's way? I have several shellac discs that I value highly, and that's
what I've done.

If someone would squawk about the purity of playing the "real thing", let him
continue to expose HIS stuff to the potential fate of irreplac eablr treasures!