Rich,

In my general naivety toward  this new hobby I'd assumed everybody knew
that the steel needle damages the groove. I wasn't aware there was even
a debate.  A modern tone arm tracks in grams, the phonograph in ounces!

But I do have a question.  Most of my collection I've assumed to be
relatively valueless.  Is there a simple resource I can use so I don't
happen to destroy one that /is /actually valuable?

-Thatcher