Robert,
I have used highly modified RABCO arms to play records on modern Thorens
belt drive turn tables since the early 70s.

What you are very clearly explaining here is correct but I quit trying
to convince the true believers of the permanent damage they were
inflicting on irreplaceable records.

You are also correct in stating that the damage created by a properly
setup DD machine is minimal when compared to all of the rest of the
period machines.

Your treatise on phonograph geometry and record damage should stir up
some activity.  I am picturing a young boy with a stick stuck far into a
hornet nest stirring briskly while his brother looks on from a safe
distance.

Rich

Robert Wright wrote:
> Many times the pros and cons of playing shellac discs on wind-up
> phonographs have been discussed here on this list.

  <BIG SNIP>

> I have never agreed with this.  I'm a child of the 80's, and I remember
> when CD's came out -

<BIG SNIP>