Oh Greg,
I have a thousand things to pick your brain about (I knew about CED being a
vertical modulation and would LOVE to get into finer details of it with you,
as I'm an "obsolete technology" junkie across the board)!  I knew you'd come
in with a bunch of relevatory and reliable information, and you have my
thanks.  This hit the spot.

So what I'm understanding is that every time the groove modulates away from
its silent center, it is showing the needle to yet more lateral tracking
error (Mikey Fremer, Art Dudley, and all those guys call it azimuth -- you
know buzzwords fly around the office in America's corporate state!  What do
they know, anyway?).  But because the overall phase of the groove is
typically zero (except for the universal cut, but we're only talking about
strictly lateral here), the convex wear on both sides of the needle is
typically even, and the louder the record, the more safely shaved off the
needle becomes.  It seems like a pretty good system, if this is true, since
the higher modulation exerts more force against the needle, so it is
receiving more severe blows from the needle as it passes each ridge.  So the
more severe the groove works the needle, increasing the prospect of damage,
the better-suited that needle becomes along the way.  Pretty nifty!

It's obvious I should clarify things real quick:  to say vinyl could never
wear a diamond is to say rocks can't be cut by water, which we all know
isn't true.  Every time I've said it, I have meant that a modern vinyl
record would never substantially wear a modern diamond stylus within the
confines of recommended use, which is to say that the cantilever suspension
gives out way before the stylus starts to see any wear.  I should've pointed
this out all along; my apologies for any confusion.  I should also point out
that while my intention was to illustrate provable damage to modern vinyl
records by playback with modern lightweight tonearms, the truth is that
"negligible" doesn't even scratch the surface (so to speak, ha ha) -- in my
example, a locked groove left playing for 5 hours more than once resulted in
audible frequency changes.  At 33.3 rpm, this represents 20,000 plays!  So
obviously, this kind of wear doesn't really translate in the real world.
Again, my point was only proof that such wear does exist, and is measurable.

Regarding DD's, Pathe's, and the virtual absence of LTA as a mitigating
factor, you have pointed out all the same things I've pointed out.  I did
say that there is some error with the DD machines, but that it made no
difference to the playback characteristics.  I didn't point out that the arc
was reversed, but it brings up an interesting point:  Edison could've easily
included one more extension to the tonearm suspension that would've given
him bona fide linear tracking, i.e., zero lateral tracking error.  It is my
belief that he knew this and chose not to, for a few reasons.  One, with a
feedscrew driving the tonearm, it was not necessary to optimize
skate/anti-skate issues for playback reasons.  Two (and this one's a
stretch), the reverse arc puts the lateral tracking error at the end of the
disc towards the outside (I'm not sure how to say this correctly in
technical terms), the way it is at the outside edge of the disc on a
standard back-pivot tonearm, increasing the amount of skate force at the
inside of the record -- certainly handy to ensure a quick skate towards the
label after the groove ran out to trip the Duncan stop, though this would
obviously have been an added bonus, not an initial design function.  But
most importantly, it sounds like exposing a rotating profile to the record
when using perfectly conical or spherical stylii would be a GOOD thing --
that while making no difference whatsoever to playback characteristics, it
offers a self-refreshing contact point on the stylus itself, probably adding
substantially to the life of the stylus.  It would certainly stand to
reason.  And with these two systems, we're talking about a situation where
the stylus is custom-ground for the groove to begin with, that the fresher
the stylus, the more contact area, so giving the groove the freshest stylus
profile possible across the record's total surface seems like a real plus!

All this said, Pathe's and Edison DD's are both still susceptible to damage
from playback.  I've found that on those 16" 120rpm Pathe's I recently got,
highly modulated grooves at the end of the music, near the label, get rather
ratty sounding, sort of blast-y.  And I'm doing electrical transfers at
16-33rpm, so I know I'm getting exactly what is left in the groove.  I can't
imagine the Pathe system was able to completely avoid having the stylus
leave the groove on loud, high, long notes (say around 1KHz to 4KHz), and as
it would land on the other side of the 'hill', beat up the shellac as it
went (though I can't say this is something I've seen much evidence of,
outside of these 16" 120rpm discs, if that's even what it is).  With so much
less modulation on DD's, I'd think this particular problem was a non-issue
for them (and I've certainly never heard a DD that blasted on loud, high
notes like a standard lateral disc), but I wonder just how many times a new
DD could be played by a new stylus in a DD phono before audible wear would
appear.  Would they really wear the diamond out first?

Thanks for all your invested time and shared wisdom, Greg.

Best,
Robert