Indeed. There have been very few plastics that  have had any permanence.
Catalin has shown to be more stable than many others, but when the
plasticizer finally dries out of the plasticx, it's curtains for the piece.
In the thirties, plastics were all the panic. There were things shown in
plastics that were downright sensational. I'm sure that a lot of people
thought that glass would soon be made obsolete by gorgeous plastic things.
Well, my mother and my aunt didn't throw out their cut crystal, and I now
have a couple of cabinets full of it.

In those days (that I remember so well), the automotive industry went
ballistic over plastics too. Today, there are guys who re-mold steering
wheels for those cars. The big plstic was Tenite I, a plastic by Tennessee
Eastman in Kingsport, Tennessee. You'll travel long and far to see an
original steering wheel on a prewar car!.  However, I have a '38 Cadillac,
with the original steering wheel, and still decent dash plastic, and you
just don't ever see that.

Which brings us to the Vogue records. Tom Saffady, a tool  and die maker on
East eight mile road in East Detroit (Across 8 Mile from Detroit) got the
idea of making these pretty records. I understand that he used an aluminum
base, attached the artwork to it, and molded the plastic to it, pressing
the recording in the same operation. While I don't know for sure what the
plastic is, I'm sure that  it's a vinyl, and of the best quality at the
time. When they hit the stores, they made quite a splash, and they sold
well, more for their novel character than anything else. No surprise, they
were priced higher than the major brand shellac discs, but their charm gave
them their value. Sadly, the novelty wore off, and Saffady wasn't able to
get the price down to meet the competition. He had tried to have a multiple
pressing rig, to perss (I believe) nine discs at once, but it never worked.
He folded, unfortunately, and his building later housed a cutthroat
department store caled something like Hall of bargains. One day, I passed
there, and the place had been gutted by fire, and not all of the walls were
standing. I believe that there is a fast food place on that site today.

So, what about the plastic that Sav-Way Industries (Tom Saffady) used on
those discs? Astoundingly, it seems to have held up very well. Since Vinyl
plastics harden and shrink with age, I would worry about the Vogue discs
deteriorating at some time in the future. Plastics are not permanent, and
the newest Vogue disc is about 62 byears old.  The aluminum core will not
shrink, but the plastic could.

Shoving a