To: <Phono-L@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:11 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Capehart

After many years, my 1937 Capehart 404G (serial number 10627E) is now functioning & sounds great & is fun to watch as it changes records. I have noticed quite a bit of "needle noise" in the magnetic pickup when the volume is turned down even though the pickup has been restored. Is this endemic to a properly performing Capehart as I suspect because all the doors to the record playing compartment are sealed with rubber gaskets, presumable to contain mechanical noise or does the pickup need further work? Also, where can one obtain needles for playing large numbers of 78s without being changed in the Capehart or Orthophonic Victrola 1050? I have Mr. Baumbach's excellent book on the Capeharts without which the repairman who usually works on 1950s & 1960s hifi gear would have been completely at sea in working on the Capehart changer but would like to obtain copies of the owner's manual &
schematics of the tuner & amplifiers.

Jim Cartwright

Immortal Performances

jim...@earthlink.net